BY SAM YOUNGMAN
By Saturday afternoon, more than 250,000 people had signed on to the class-action lawsuit U.S. Sen. Rand Paul plans to file against the Obama administration over the National Security Agency’s (NSA) collection of data through domestic surveillance programs.
Paul, R-Bowling Green, had been contemplating the effort for several months and announced it Friday night when appearing on Hannity on Fox News.
The senator said he hopes to take the suit against President Barack Obama and the NSA “all the way to the Supreme Court” on the issue of “whether or not constitutionally you can have a single warrant apply to millions of people.”
Paul, who saw his national profile skyrocket early last year when he filibustered the nomination of CIA director John Brennan over domestic drone use, said he thinks “everybody in American who has a cell phone would be eligible for this class-action suit.”
Paul has not yet filed suit, but he said he plans to do so this month when the complaint is ready.
“We want to overwhelm the government,” Paul said. “And we want to show publicly that hundreds of thousands of people … object to the government looking at our records without our permission.”